Although there are many things around the house that many homeowners concentrate on, which are highly visible, there are things that they can’t see that pose a higher risk. Here are six problems that pose a danger to you, your family and your home that you’ll want to avoid and swiftly remedy if they show up at your home.


Asbestos was used in electrical insulation and in building insulation and is typically uncovered in the basements and attics of homes built before the 1970’s. It has been linked to serious health problems, including lung cancer and mesothelioma. If you uncover asbestos that you can’t avoid or if you are unsure if your house contains asbestos, find a certified asbestos consultant in your area and request a home evaluation.

Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas. In high concentrations, it is toxic to humans and animals. Detectors are available at home improvement and hardware stores. Carbon monoxide detectors should be placed on each level of your home, including the basement.


One of the most dangerous substances to children in homes built before 1980 is lead paint. You can buy lead test kits at home improvement and hardware stores. If you find that your home has lead paint, hire a certified professional to remove and dispose of it.


One of the hazards most often faced by homeowners is mold, which is caused by excessive moisture build-up due to flooding, leaky roofs and indoor plumbing issues. Mold is often undetectable and can cause allergic reactions and long-term health problems. Minor mold can be eradicated with soap and water or bleach-to-water solution composed of 9 parts water to 1 part bleach. If you experience a major water issue, have a water mitigation specialist come out to dry affected areas.


Linked to lung cancer, radon is a radioactive gas that is produced from the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water. It seeps into your home through cracks and other holes in the foundation. There are many radon testing kits available and if your home tests positive, hire a consultant immediately.


Termites are attracted to wood, moisture accumulation near the foundation and dead plant material left on the ground. The sign to look for is the damage they cause to wood, especially door and window frames. Maintenance and prevention is crucial, but when faced with infestation, you need to call in a seasoned professional who specializes in eradicating termites.

Post a Comment